Monday, March 7, 2011

Cherry Blossom Party

For Chloe's first birthday, I did a cherry blossom viewing party. I don't think anyone's going to throw a cherry blossom party anytime soon, but in case you do, here's some of the tutorials I used and things that I did for her party.

Most of the decorations had cherry blossoms on them. We also had authentic Japanese food that you would find at a cherry blossom viewing picnic in Japan. Here's what the table looked like put together along with the general decorations.
I made most of the decorations (or embellished them) with cherry blossoms that I punched out using a cherry blossom flower punch. I used this tutorial from Martha Stewart for the tissue flowers on the lanterns.
I folded small paper cranes for the ends of the toothpicks for the food. (I was going to make curtains of all of the cranes, but ran out of time) I also had regular sized cranes to hold the labels.
I also got some branches from a guy pruning his trees and glued on paper cherry blossoms that I punched out.
I made labels for all of the food and drinks and wrote everything in Japanese with the English translations underneath. For that I just went to Google translator :) For the water bottles I took off the labels and wrapped them with ribbon and glued personalized labels on instead.
I even tied the chopsticks and forks with pink ribbon. (Maybe a little overboard lol)
For the thank you's I put together some Japanese candy (because if you ever get Japanese food, they always give you candy with your check) and labelled them as well.
I made the cakes for the party and made fondant cherry blossom flowers. I found this video on how to do it. I did do mine differently, but I used hers to get the general idea. This was my first time using fondant and I think they turned out pretty decently. I tinted the fondant pink and used pink shimmer for the inside of the flowers and white shimmer for the edges.
I also had people dress up in kimonos. It was so much fun. Here's the cute birthday girl in her kimono.
I hope this helps if you want to throw you're own cherry blossom party. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment